Friday, May 6, 2016

When it comes to packing, is less really more?

What size suitcase should I bring?  The answer, "Less really is more".  Before you roll your eyes, please read why!

Most people who know me are surprised how little I bring on any trip.  It doesn't matter if I'm gone for 1 week or 2, I still use my 21" rolling soft sided suitcase.  

What brand to buy:  I mainly prefer Samsonite due to the material that they use on their soft sided suitcases.  It's easy to clean and water resistant.  Being a planner by nature, I try to think ahead of what "might" happen.  What if it rains and my suitcase sits outside for hours?  What if my suitcase gets stuck on the bottom of the pile and has those grease marks on it when I get it from baggage claim?  Samsonite is easy to wipe off and clean when the unexpected occurs.

Size of suitcase:   The soft sided suitcases (21") are great when you need to carry your luggage on to the plane.  You can push them into the overhead compartments where the hard shell versions will not.

They also allow you to have an outside zipper or pocket for magazines, important papers, tablet, medicine, snacks, and other items that you may want to get to without having to open your suitcase in front of everyone.

You may plan to check your suitcase, but being prepared to carry it on, is just smart traveling!  Now days, you never know what will occur when you arrive at check in.  I've been in Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris when the conveyor belts were broken and it took 4 hours for check in.  With a carry on, I just bypassed it all and moved on to security.  Have a plan B.

Style of suitcase:  Ever since they invented the 4 wheel rolling suitcases that are light weight, I scratch my head in disbelief when I see people struggling with either overweight luggage, 2 wheels or duffle bags.  Why?  Why would you chose to make traveling more difficult than it needs to be?  It should be fun!

The 4 wheel rolling 21" suitcases can be pushed or pulled with ease.  Why would I want to tweak my neck or back?

The style is up to you, I've seen the rolling garment bags work just as well.  Especially if you're packing suits or special event gowns (formal attire).

Color:  Does it really matter?  Just make sure it's labeled inside and outside in case it gets misplaced.  Most important tip that I learned the hard way?  When they ask me, "Your final destination?"  I make sure to check the luggage tag to see if it's going to my city before they deposit it on the conveyor belt.  Humans make mistakes, you should verify BEFORE they take your bag that it says the city you're traveling to.

What do I do if I didn't pack enough?:  I've never been on a trip where I couldn't buy another shirt, sweater or skirt because I needed one more clean item.  But once you get to your destination you are STUCK with the items you brought.  Don't overpack!  You will be much happier if you only have to worry about one bag.

Happy Traveling!

No comments:

Post a Comment