Sunday, June 1, 2014

# 4 - San Francisco Bay Area, California

Our 4th favorite city, is the San Francisco Bay Area in California.  Part of the reason why is because it's where we grew up, met and eventually got married.  But why should you like visiting the area?

San Francisco is a beautiful city on the ocean, so there are great views in every direction.  There are two areas in the city that I enjoy most:  Union Square and Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf.  I really enjoy spending the day shopping and eating in the Union Square area.  It has everything in walking distance - from high end shopping to affordable.  If I'm not in SF for shopping, then I want to be a tourist and there's no better place to do that than Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf.  You can't take a bad photo in this area.  On the left of you will see the Golden Gate Bridge, in front of you will the Alcatraz and to the right will be the Bay Bridge.  

Where to stay?  I personally feel that it's too expensive to stay in SF.  I prefer to travel up north to the town of Sonoma.  There's a quaint square in the center of Sonoma with LOTS of restaurants, bars and somewhat affordable hotels.  I'd launch from Sonoma to do a little wine tasting; either Alexander Valley or Napa Valley.  I prefer Alexander Valley, but you can't go wrong with either area.  It's too much to do both, so you should pick based on the wine you like when you're home.  


For me, I prefer the Coppola Winery.  It's not just a winery!  It has wine pairings, a restaurant and pool area.  You can spend the entire day at just this one winery.




Changing rooms at the pool - Coppola Winery
After you've had your fill of wine tasting, the next place that I would travel to and finish your vacation is Bodega Bay.  You'll be right on the Sonoma Coastline.  The water is too cold to swim in, but the views are gorgeous!  Try to stay 1 night in this area.  Have a romantic dinner at one of the many ocean front restaurants and enjoy the view.  The next morning you will find it just a short drive back to SF to head back home. 


Happy Traveling!

No comments:

Post a Comment