Sunday, May 11, 2014

"What happens in Amsterdam - stays in Amsterdam?"

When I tell people that I enjoyed visiting Amsterdam, most Americans give me a funny smile and say "I'm sure you did".  I've never been a person who did drugs or drink beer, so I usually say, "why?"  Amsterdam, good or bad, is known to be a little bit of a Las Vegas without gambling.  Meaning - "What happens in Amsterdam - stays in Amsterdam?"

I found the city to be quaint, charming and beautiful.  The first thing my husband enjoyed is that we could speak English.  I loved how the water intersects with the streets and throughout the city beautifully.  The city uses water taxis to get around.  I highly suggest getting a hop on - hop off pass.  The city looks very different from the water AND the locals use bikes......LOTS of bikes.  It's a little terrifying to walk the streets as a pedestrian because of the constant sound of bells that you're in someones way!  No joke!!!

Two of my favorite museums are located in Amsterdam:  Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum.  What I love about the Rijks is how different it is than any museum in France.  It's mainly Dutch work which includes furniture and doll houses.  I left the museum really feeling like I got a glimpse into the culture.  Most museums are filled with art from all over, but this one focuses mainly on the art of their country.

The Van Gogh Museum surprised me.  It's filled with multiple sunflower paintings - who knew that Van Gogh painted the same scene in so many different colors?  I found it sweet that his brother kept all the pictures and letters Van Gogh wrote him.  It was very touching to see the family love and connection.


Another great thing about Amsterdam is that it's so close to everything.  Don't forget you can easily take a train to Paris, Brussels, or even to Germany.  It's easy to arrange and safe to travel on.  Just don't leave your bags unattended.  

One last suggestion, if you have time, try to take a dinner cruise.  They will start in a small canal and work their way to the ocean.  Not only do you get to see a different part of the city, you can enjoy some of the best seafood around.  The seafood is fresh and delicious.  Most desserts include a little Belgium chocolate - what could be better??

Happy Traveling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment